When going kayaking, it's important to have a reliable way to communicate with other members of your group, especially in the case of an emergency. This is where waterproof walkie talkies come in handy. These devices not only allow you to stay in touch with your fellow kayakers but can also be essential for ensuring your safety and convenience.
In this post, we're going to highlight the best waterproof walkie talkies for kayaking, including their features, range, and battery life. We'll also discuss why waterproof walkie talkies are essential for kayaking and provide alternatives in case you're unable to use walkie talkies.
Whether you're a beginner or an experienced kayaker, having a reliable means of communication while on the water is crucial. So, let's take a look at some of the best options available in the market today.
Why Waterproof Walkie Talkies are Important for Kayaking
Kayaking is a fun and thrilling activity, but it's also important to prioritize safety while on the water. Waterproof walkie talkies can help you stay safe while kayaking by providing clear and reliable communication in case an emergency arises.
Here are some reasons why waterproof walkie talkies are important for kayaking:
- Enhanced safety: If someone in your group needs help, quick communication is essential. Waterproof walkie talkies help you stay in constant communication with other kayakers, making it easier to request assistance when required.
- Navigation and trip coordination: Kayaking trips can become complicated, especially when paddling through unfamiliar waters. Waterproof walkie talkies allow you to communicate with other kayakers in your group to ensure everyone is on the right track, coordinate location changes, and make important decisions regarding safety.
- Weather alerts: Weather conditions can change rapidly while on the water, posing a threat to kayakers. Waterproof walkie talkies with weather channels allow you to stay informed about any incoming storms or other weather conditions that may affect your safety while kayaking.
- Faster response time: In a situation where an emergency arises, faster response time can mean the difference between life and death. Waterproof walkie talkies provide quick and efficient communication, enabling you to get the help you need without delay.
Overall, having waterproof walkie talkies with you while kayaking is essential to ensure the safety of everyone in your group. The next section of this post will focus on the features to look out for when choosing the best waterproof walkie talkies for kayaking.
Features of the Best Waterproof Walkie Talkies for Kayaking
When looking for waterproof walkie talkies to use while kayaking, several essential features need to be considered. These features include:
- Waterproof rating: The first and most crucial factor to consider is the waterproof rating of the walkie talkies. The device should have a rating of at least IPX7, which means the radio can be submerged in up to 1 meter of water for 30 minutes without damage.
- Range: It's essential to have a walkie talkie with a range that covers the area you will be kayaking. Walkie talkies with a range of at least three to five miles are ideal for kayaking.
- Battery life: Having a long-lasting battery is essential, especially when entailing extended kayaking trips. Walkie talkies with rechargeable batteries have substantial benefits with convenience and the environment.
- Channels and frequencies: A walkie talkie that has channels and frequencies (FRS, GMRS, and MURS) is more versatile, and one can choose the one that suits their preference. Some channels may also require a license, so consider that when selecting walkie talkies.
- Additional features: Walkie talkies with other features like voice activation and emergency alerts may give an advantage in more critical situations.
Make sure you pay attention to these features when comparing different waterproof walkie talkies for kayaking. Choosing a walkie talkie that meets your needs ensures an unforgettable kayaking experience without compromising safety.
Best Waterproof Walkie Talkies for Kayaking
After considering the features to look out for when shopping for waterproof walkie talkies for kayaking, here are the top recommendations:
- Motorola T600 H2O Talkabout Radio: This walkie talkie has an IP67 waterproof rating and comes with a flashlight, making it perfect for nighttime emergencies. It has a range of up to 35 miles, 22 channels, and 121 privacy codes. The battery life is an impressive 9-12 hours, and it comes with a micro-USB charging cable.
- Cobra ACXT645 Walkie Talkies: The Cobra ACXT645 walkie talkies have an IPX4 waterproof rating, range of up to 35 miles, and 22 channels with NOAA weather alerts. They come with a micro-USB cable and have a unique VibrAlert feature that vibrates when someone calls even if the volume is low. With a 10-hour battery life and voice-activated transmission (VOX) feature, it deserves its place on this list.
- Uniden MHS75 Waterproof Handheld 2-Way VHF Marine Radio: This waterproof walkie talkie comes with a high-performance antenna, robust battery life, and voice scrambler. It has a solid IPX8 waterproof rating, 12-hour battery life, and is submersible in 5 feet of water for up to 30 minutes. It also features a NOAA weather alert channel and is ideal for kayakers venturing out in the ocean.
- Midland GXT1000VP4 GMRS Two-Way Radio: This waterproof walkie talkie has an IPX7 waterproof rating, a maximum range of 36 miles, 50 channels, and is compatible with FRS and GMRS frequencies. It comes with a 12-hour battery life, VOX feature, a hands-free operation, and NOAA weather alerts.
With any of these waterproof walkie talkies, you will have reliable communication on the water, ensuring safety and convenience for you and your fellow kayakers.
Alternatives to Waterproof Walkie Talkies for Kayaking
If waterproof walkie talkies are not your preferred communication device or you want to explore other options, there are alternative communication devices suitable for kayaking. These include:
- Smartphone apps: Some smartphone apps like Zello, HeyTell and Voxer can be used instead of walkie talkies. They allow for voice communication, location sharing, and other features, providing a similar functionality to walkie talkies.
- Marine radios: Marine radios operate on VHF frequencies and are an excellent alternative to walkie talkies when kayaking in large water bodies, where VHF (very high frequency) transmissions can travel further than UHF (ultra-high frequency). They also have weather band channels to provide updates on any severe weather conditions.
- Satellite phones: Satellite phones can be used to communicate when traditional communication methods are unavailable or unreliable, especially in remote kayaking areas. They operate off commercial satellite networks, offering clarity and wider coverage. However, they are expensive and may not be feasible for short kayaking trips.
When selecting an alternative to waterproof walkie talkies, ensure it meets the primary requirements of reliability, durability, and functionality required on the water.
Related: Unleash Your Inner Angler with the Ocean Kayaks Prowler 13 Angler
What does waterproof rating mean in walkie talkies?
Waterproof rating is a measure of the degree of protection provided by the walkie talkie against water damage. The rating is given in the form of an IP (Ingress Protection) code.
How deep can the best waterproof walkie talkies for kayaking be submerged?
The depth of submersion varies for each walkie talkie, but the best waterproof walkie talkies can be submerged up to a certain depth level, usually two meters or more.
How many channels should the best waterproof walkie talkies have for kayaking?
The best waterproof walkie talkies should have multiple channels to prevent interference and allow for communication with other kayakers in the group.
Can I use a regular walkie talkie for kayaking if I cover it with a plastic bag?
Although it may seem like a cheap and easy solution, covering a regular walkie talkie with plastic does not provide adequate waterproofing protection.
How long should the battery last for a waterproof walkie talkie?
The battery life varies for each walkie talkie, but the best waterproof walkie talkies have long battery life, up to 16 hours or more.
Is it possible to charge the best waterproof walkie talkies while kayaking?
Some waterproof walkie talkies can be charged while kayaking using a portable charging device.
Can I still use the best waterproof walkie talkies for kayaking in extreme weather conditions?
Yes, the best waterproof walkie talkies for kayaking are designed to function in extreme temperatures and weather conditions.
Should I get a walkie talkie with a voice activation feature?
A voice-activated feature can be convenient for hands-free communication but may also create unwanted noise.
Can I use the best waterproof walkie talkies for kayaking in saltwater?
Yes, the best waterproof walkie talkies for kayaking can be used in saltwater, but be sure to rinse them thoroughly in fresh water after use.
How reliable are the best waterproof walkie talkies for kayaking in emergency situations?
The best waterproof walkie talkies for kayaking come with emergency alerts and SOS features and are reliable communication devices in emergency situations.
Sarah was an avid kayaker who loved to explore the great outdoors. One day, she decided to take on a challenging river route with a group of friends. It was her first time kayaking in such a location, and she didn't want to take any chances.
Before setting off, Sarah made sure to pack all the essentials, including a waterproof walkie talkie. She had heard from fellow kayakers that communication was critical on this route, and that the best waterproof walkie talkies for kayaking could save lives.
As they made their way down the river, Sarah was blown away by the stunning views around her. The water was rough, but her kayak was steady. However, it wasn't until they reached the rapids that things got challenging.
Sarah's kayak hit a rock, and she was thrown off balance. She managed to pull herself back up but realized she had lost sight of the other kayakers in her group. Her heart raced as she searched for familiar faces.
That's when she remembered the waterproof walkie talkie tucked in her life jacket. She quickly pulled it out and pressed the button. "Hello, can anyone hear me?" she called out, hoping for a response.
To her relief, a sound crackled through the walkie talkie. It was her friend Jane, who had heard the call for help. "Sarah, where are you? Are you okay?" Jane asked through the walkie talkie. Sarah shared her location, and Jane quickly paddled over to her.
Thanks to the waterproof walkie talkie, Sarah was quickly rescued and reunited with her group. From that day on, she always made sure to carry the best waterproof walkie talkies for kayaking on all her trips.
When going kayaking, being able to communicate effectively and efficiently is vital for safety purposes. The best way to achieve this is by having a communication device that suits your needs. Waterproof walkie talkies are an excellent choice as they are durable, versatile, and can withstand water submersion.
In this post, we've highlighted the important features to look for when selecting the best waterproof walkie talkies for kayaking. We've also recommended some of the best waterproof walkie talkies available in the market today, including the Motorola T600 H2O, Cobra ACXT645 walkie talkies, Uniden MHS75, and Midland GXT1000VP4.
If walkie talkies aren't your preferred option, we've also discussed some alternative communication devices like smartphone apps, marine radios, and satellite phones that may be suitable for your kayaking needs.
Remember, prioritizing safety and communication while kayaking should be your top priority. So, select a communication device that meets your needs and enjoy your kayaking trip with peace of mind.