If you're a paddler, you know that having the right equipment is key to a successful trip out on the water. One piece of equipment that is often overlooked, but can make a big difference, is the poling platform for your jon boat. A poling platform is typically a flat surface that elevates you above the gunwales of the boat, giving you a higher vantage point and better visibility when fishing or navigating shallow waters. But with so many options on the market, it can be difficult to know what to look for in a poling platform. In this post, we'll go over some tips for selecting the best jon boat poling platform and discuss a few alternatives to consider as well.
Types of Jon Boat Poling Platform
There are several different types of poling platforms available, each with its own pros and cons. Here are a few of the most common:
- Fiberglass Poling Platform: These platforms are lightweight and durable, typically made from fiberglass reinforced plastic. They are a great choice for those who prioritize weight and ease of installation.
- Aluminum Poling Platform: Aluminum platforms are also lightweight, and they have the added benefit of being corrosion-resistant. They often come with non-slip surfaces for added safety.
- Wooden Poling Platform: Wooden platforms offer a classic look and feel, and can provide a sturdy, stable surface. However, they can be prone to rot and decay over time if not properly maintained.
Tips for selecting the best poling platform
When selecting a poling platform for your jon boat, consider the following:
- Weight capacity: Make sure the platform can accommodate your weight in addition to any gear you'll be carrying.
- Durability: Look for a platform that is built to withstand water and weather conditions.
- Compatibility: Ensure that the platform is compatible with your specific jon boat model and size.
- Height: Consider the height you need to be elevated above the gunwales to have a clear view, and look for a platform that meets your needs.
- Versatility: Some platforms may come with additional features, like rod holders or cup holders, that could be useful for your specific needs.
- Non-slip surface: For added safety, look for a poling platform with a non-slip surface.
Alternatives to Poling Platforms
If a poling platform isn't the right choice for you, here are a few alternatives to consider:
- Casting platforms: Like poling platforms, casting platforms elevate you above the gunwales for better visibility. However, they typically include additional space to move around and cast your line.
- Deck extensions: Deck extensions can be attached to your boat's existing deck and provide additional space for standing, as well as better access to storage areas.
Related: Roof Racks Kayak Mounts: The Ultimate Guide for Hassle-Free Transport!
What is a poling platform?
A poling platform is a raised platform built onto a boat used for sight casting in shallow water.
What is the best material for a poling platform?
The best material for a poling platform depends on personal preferences, but fiberglass, aluminum, and wood are the most common.
What weight capacity should I look for in a poling platform?
The weight capacity of a poling platform should at least support your weight and your gear's weight.
How important is durability in a poling platform?
Durability is essential in a poling platform to ensure that it can withstand harsh weather conditions and frequent use.
How high should a poling platform be?
A poling platform should be high enough to provide a clear line of sight for fishing but low enough to remain stable.
Can I use a casting platform instead of a poling platform?
Yes, casting platforms serve the same purpose as poling platforms.
What are the alternatives to poling platforms?
Alternative options to poling platforms include casting platforms and deck extensions.
Is a non-slip surface necessary in poling platforms?
Yes, a non-slip surface is necessary to prevent accidents and provide stability when standing.
Do I need any special tools to install a poling platform?
Most poling platforms come with installation instructions and require basic tools like screwdrivers and wrenches.
How versatile should a poling platform be?
A versatile poling platform can be adjusted to fit different boats and fishing situations.
John always looked forward to the weekend when he could take his jon boat out for a fishing adventure. After some disappointing trips, he realized he was having trouble spotting fish in shallow water.
One day, John saw someone on the water with a specialized platform on their boat. He learned that it was a poling platform, which raised the angler above the boat's bottom for clearer visibility. John knew he needed one for his boat.
However, he wasn't sure what to get. As an avid fisherman, he wanted the best. He did extensive research, compared different poling platforms' weight capacity and durability, and finally chose a fiberglass platform. He also learned the importance of a non-slip surface and selected a platform with the necessary features.
John's next fishing trip was a game-changer. The platform put him higher above the water, allowing him to see the fish and catch more fish than ever before. It was the best investment he made for his boat.
Based on: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnboat
Choosing the right poling platform or alternative can greatly enhance your experience on the water. Consider your specific needs and preferences when selecting a platform, and don't be afraid to ask for advice from fellow paddlers or professionals. By following the tips in this post, you can select a platform that will provide stability, safety, and visibility for all your jon boat adventures.