Fishing is a favorite pastime for many outdoor enthusiasts, and to make the most of the experience, it’s important to have the right gear. One piece of gear that often goes overlooked is the fishing shirt. Fishing shirts are designed to provide anglers with optimal protection from the sun, keep them cool, and offer unrestricted movement while casting. However, one feature of fishing shirts that many people question is the flap on the back. In this post, we will explore the reasons why fishing shirts have flaps on the back, offer tips for choosing the right fishing shirt, and provide alternatives to flap-on-the-back shirts for those who prefer alternatives.
Why Fishing Shirts Have Flaps On The Back
The flap on the back of a fishing shirt serves multiple purposes. We’ve listed a few reasons why fishing shirts have flaps on the back below:
- Sun protection for the neck and upper back: The flap offers extra sun protection for the areas that are most exposed to the sun and prone to sunburns.
- Ventilation to keep cool: The flap is made from a breathable mesh or fabric that allows air to circulate and keeps the wearer cool.
- Maintaining a full range of motion while casting: The flap allows for unrestricted movement of the arms and shoulders when casting a fishing line.
- Protection from bugs and insects: The back flap acts as a barrier against insect bites and can keep the angler comfortable while fishing in areas with bugs and insects.
Overall, the flap on the back of a fishing shirt is a functional design element that enhances the wearer’s comfort and protection while fishing.
Tips for Choosing the Right Fishing Shirt
Choosing the right fishing shirt can make a significant impact on the angler’s comfort and performance while fishing. Here are some useful tips to help you choose the perfect fishing shirt:
- Fabric: Choose a fishing shirt made from light, moisture-wicking fabric. Light-colored shirts reflect the sun’s rays and keep you cool.
- Size: Ensure that you choose a shirt that fits correctly. A tight shirt can restrict movement, while a loose shirt can cause discomfort and reduce sun protection.
- Color: Light colors like white, light blue, and light grey work well to keep you comfortable in hot weather conditions.
- UV Protection: Look for a fishing shirt with a high ultraviolet (UV) rating. The UPF (Ultraviolet Protection Factor) of the shirt should be 50 or higher to block out harmful UV radiation from the sun.
By considering these tips when choosing your fishing shirt, you’ll be able to stay cool, comfortable and protected while fishing.
Alternatives to Flap on the Back Shirts
If you prefer not to have a flap on the back of your fishing shirt, there are a few alternatives available:
- Hooded shirts or hats: Wearing a hat or a hooded shirt can provide similar sun protection for your neck and upper back.
- Long sleeve shirts with high UV rating: A long-sleeve shirt with a UPF of 50 or higher can offer adequate sun protection without the need for a flap on the back.
- Clothing with insect repellent properties: Insect-repellent clothing can keep bugs and insects away from the skin without the need for a flap on the back.
If you prefer not to wear a fishing shirt with a flap on the back, these alternatives can provide similar benefits and functionality.
What is the purpose of the flap on the back of a fishing shirt?
The flap provides sun protection, ventilation, and a full range of motion while casting.
Are all fishing shirts designed with a flap on the back?
No, not all fishing shirts have a flap on the back. Some are designed with different sun protection features.
Can I wear a regular shirt while fishing?
While you can wear a regular shirt while fishing, it’s best to choose a shirt that has been designed specifically for fishing, with sun protection, ventilation, and movement in mind.
Can I wear a fishing shirt for other outdoor activities?
Of course! Fishing shirts are versatile and can be worn for a variety of outdoor activities such as hiking, camping, and surfing.
How should a fishing shirt fit?
A fishing shirt should fit properly, not too tight or too loose, to provide a full range of motion and ventilation.
What is a good fabric for a fishing shirt?
Look for a light, moisture-wicking fabric, such as nylon or polyester, which will dry quickly and keep you cool.
Can I wear a regular hat for sun protection while fishing?
While you can wear a regular hat, a fishing hat with a wide brim is designed to provide better sun protection for your face, neck, and ears while fishing.
How important is sun protection while fishing?
Sun protection is essential while fishing since you are often exposed to hours of direct sunlight, which can lead to skin damage and skin cancer.
Can fishing shirts protect against insect bites?
Some fishing shirts are designed with insect repellent properties, which can protect against insect bites.
Are there any downsides to wearing a fishing shirt with a flap on the back?
The only downside to a fishing shirt with a flap on the back is that it may not be suitable for colder weather when a full shirt is necessary for warmth.
John loved nothing more than spending the day out on the lake. Every chance he got, he was out there, fishing rod in hand, ready to catch the big one. But over time, John noticed that spending hours on the water was starting to take a toll on his skin. Sunburns and skin damage became the new normal, and John knew he had to do something about it.
That’s when he discovered the wonder of fishing shirts with flaps on the back. At first, John wasn’t sure what to make of it. What was the purpose of that flap? But once he slipped on his new fishing shirt and hit the water, he quickly realized the benefits.
The flap on the back kept his neck and upper back protected from the sun’s harmful rays. It also provided ventilation, allowing him to stay cool and comfortable throughout the day. Plus, the flap didn’t interfere with his casting motion, so he could have a full range of motion without compromise.
Thanks to his new fishing shirt, John could spend entire days on the lake without worrying about sunburns or discomfort. He even started to notice that he was catching more fish, too, now that he could focus on his technique without distractions.
Now, John never goes out on the water without his trusty fishing shirt. It’s his secret weapon for a successful day of fishing, and he swears by it to all his fishing buddies.
Choosing the right fishing shirt can make a significant difference in your overall fishing experience. Although fishing shirts with flaps on the back may seem unusual, they offer remarkable benefits, including sun protection, ventilation, flexibility, and protection against insects. If you would prefer not to wear a fishing shirt with a flap on the back, there are alternatives such as hooded shirts, long-sleeved shirts with high UPF, and insect-repellent clothing. Ultimately, investing in a quality fishing shirt is worth it considering the comfort and protection it provides. By following the tips highlighted in this post, you can select the perfect fishing shirt that meets your needs and enjoy an incredible fishing experience.